Wednesday, June 8, 2011

The Low-Down

I don't really know where to start. We were originally planning on meeting with our Dr. on May 27th to start our IVF cycle, but so many things happened and that appointment was cancelled.

Our IUI #3 was cancelled on a Thursday. Friday, we found out about a tax-free medical account available through my work, so we maxed out what we could put in there knowing we'd need every penny for IVF. Saturday, we went to a fundraiser for some friends of ours, who are also trying to save up for this expensive treatment. And that's when everything changed.

Our friends bounded up to us and asked how our IUI had gone. We explained that the Dr. had cancelled it and recommended us for IVF. And they stopped the conversation right there and said, you need to talk to her and pointed to a girl only a few years older than me with thick wavy hair and big blue eyes. Turns out, she was the fundraiser coordinator. She had received an e-mail from a fertility doctor in a clinic right next to our home who was offering anyone participating in the fundraiser 50% off of an IVF cycle.

Our jaws dropped. We waited patiently for the details. Because our regular doctor was going out of town for the summer, we were going to have to change doctors anyway. We planned to just go to another doctor at the same clinic, but our regular clinic is about 45 minutes away from our home. This new clinic is less than 20. This doctor has incredibly impressive success rates over the past 5 years. He has started clinics in Nevada and Idaho and now here in our home town. He is among the top 6 REs in the nation. We are so blessed!

Our consultation with him is this afternoon and I am completely freaking out. I have had 3 meltdowns already without any medications or hormones pulsing through me at all. I am terrified, excited, nervous, anxious, and so grateful.

I feel so strongly that this man is going to help us become parents. He is going to give us the greatest gift we could ever ask for. I can't wait to meet with him, yet at the same time, that nagging little fear in the back of my mind keeps asking "what if this doesn't work? what then?"

The bigger part of me, though, keeps asking "What if this works?! What if it does!?"

Hopefully, this afternoon, we'll have a timeline and more info and a plan! I'll keep you posted.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing your journey. Do you have a button I can add to my blog?

    feigningfertility.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ashley,
    I've added a button for you to add to your blog. Thank you for being so willing to spread the word about my little blog! I'm really enjoying your posts. Hope things aren't too difficult for you today. I can't imagine how hard it is to watch your little ones grow up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. very exciting turn of events! Sometimes things come together in just the right way. Good luck with this appt! and crossing my fingers that this is going to be YOUR summer!

    ReplyDelete