Friday, May 13, 2011

IUI #3: Things Get Interesting

I took the day off work yesterday to relax before our third IUI. I ate breakfast, browsed around on blogs for a while, learned a new hairstyle, and got dressed. Mr. and I ate lunch together got in the car, and ran back in the house about 3 times before we had everything we needed. Once we were on the road, our conversation turned to ways we could pay for IVF. We both knew this IUI wasn't going to work. We arrived at the clinic, and I gave Mr. the best kiss I knew how. Armed with these, he went to the back room to collect a sample. Because of last time, I knew that I needed to have my phone today. 

The minutes passed and I tried not to text Mr. in case things were going well. I still wanted to know what was going on. Suddenly, while I was flipping my phone open and closed, I answered a phone call without knowing it. It was the clinic. I was in their waiting room. Odd. The nurse on the other line told me that our Dr. had gone over our file and no longer recommended us going through with this 3rd IUI because our chances were so low (about 3%). He said that we could absolutely go through with this 3rd IUI if we wanted to, but that we needed to know that he didn't recommend it. He said we should save the money and put it toward IVF, because we have such a better chance with IVF. 

I didn't know what to do. I didn't want to text Mr. in case things were going OK. I didn't want to make this decision by myself. 45 minutes passed and I sent Mr. a simple "I love you." 

No response.

5 minutes later: "I am stressed."

"You can do this. You are amazing and I love you so so much. No one else can do what you are doing. you're the most incredible, handsome, righteous man I know."

"Please come back here."

I walked into the room and gave him a hug. There are moments in marriage where you so desperately need each other. The love between the two of us was tangible. I live for moments like that. That feeling at that intensity has only happened one other time in our marriage. Oh they are sweet. 

I hesitated to relay what the doctor said because I didn't know how Mr. would take it. Once I said, "The Dr. says he doesn't recommend us doing this today." I felt like an angel coming to relieve my sweet husband's pain. We hugged and cried and discussed what perfect timing this was. What are the odds that the nurse, who had no idea that we were even in the clinic today, would call and tell us that right at the right time? 

We had made our decision. I walked out to find a nurse to discuss moving forward with IVF with. Mr. cleaned up and met us in "Exam Room 2." The next hour was spent scheduling, discussing medications, procedures, tests we need to get done, and financing options. 

We left that clinic on such a high! We were cleared for IVF this summer. THIS SUMMER! Before, we had treated IUI #3 as a necessary evil in order for our Dr. to consider us for IVF. We both knew it wasn't going to work. It was just a waste of time, money, hope, and prayers. 

We have an appointment in 2 weeks to get scheduled and on birth control to get things moving! I've never been so excited and terrified at the same time in my life. But oh, how sweet it is to be in this with Mr. He is one incredible man. 

No comments:

Post a Comment